Wednesday 20 March 2013

Lady Power, Lady Love





This playlist has been coming for a long, long time. Some might say since I discovered music back last century. Some might say since I started blogging and had somewhere to publish my playlists. Who knows but this 'style' of music is something I'm pretty passionate about. These songs showcase women with amazing voices who aren't afraid to experiment and sing about issues that some people think are controversial or taboo. Expert execution of intricate female vocals is one of my greatest passions. Although it may not be obvious, I too love to train and hone my own vocal skills - aspiring to the standard of these women. 


I'll start and focus with the most obvious trend: the Kates. Kate Miller-Heidke and Katie Noonan are both from my home town of Brisbane and graduates of the best music programs the city (and country) has to offer. Both show a passion for their true craft which is heavily based in opera and yet are able to expand their realms far beyond. Miller-Heidke has been referred to as a master of Popera and yet that still seems inappropriate. What she creates, with her husband Kier Nutall, has unavoidable notions of many genres. The lyrics in her three pieces featured in this playlist (that includes Fatty Gets a Stylist) are definitely a mile away from her traditional roots but bring her own personality and views to the public forum. I think I've made my love for her music and lyrics clear, yes? 

Katie Noonan has one of the most astonishing voices this world has ever heard. After seeing her perform live twice now, Jess and I are true testimony to calling her voice 'jaw-droppingly-good'. Her breath control and attention to tone has brought tears to my eyes many times - even without lyrics. That soaring note you'll hear at about 2:25 into Spawn by George is one of my all time favourite moments in music history. 

I have a special connection to Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights. After I performed it in high school I attained the first real acknowledgement that I could sing from a teacher and singer I admire. I had always enjoyed Bush's work but it was a very defining moment for me, creatively. 

Kate Nash is one of today's great working role models for young girls. She's aware of issues facing underprivileged girls unable to get involved in Britain's music culture - and working as hard as she can to fix it. I love how she's changed her style over the years but still leaves us accents from her past for us to hold onto. 

It is probably obvious by now that I have a slight obsession with Regina Spektor. I do. I do. I do. Her music is a joy to listen to, analyse and recreate. I couldn't ask for anything more from a musician. She is also a pleasure to see live. Every single song of hers that I have had the pleasure of hearing has brought me joy and taught me something new; musically and lyrically. 

Sea Lion Woman - Feist
Fatty Gets a Stylist - Fatty Gets a Stylist
Spectrum - Florence and the Machine
Special Ones - George
Backass - Karen O feat. Peaches
Dickhead - Kate Nash
Girl With One Eye - Florence and the Machine
Babooshka - Kate Bush
Motorscooter - Kate Miller-Heidke
2.99 Cent Blues - Regina Spektor
Supergirl - Kate Miller-Heidke
Spawn - George
Mariella - Kate Nash
Lounge - Regina Spektor
I Had a Drink Today - Katie Noonan And The Captains
Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
Big Yellow Taxi - Joni Mitchell


I won't go too deeply into my reasoning for adding rest of these musicians as I feel my previous explanations make them fairly obvious upon hearing them. All of these women do marvellous things and for that I am truly grateful. I can listen to their words and know they mean, wholeheartedly, what is coming from their lips. That is a truly special feeling.

I hope you enjoy this side of music as much as I do. I'm so happy to be able to share this with you all.

Erin xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...